December 15, 2012

The misfit

I got the adapter plates from the machine shop this week. I would be lying if I said they fit perfectly :-(
Somehow I must have mis-measured or mis drawn on my CAD drawing almost 2mm on the mounting holes for the stub axle bolts!
Anyway, with a good power drill, anything can be fixed :-)
The left rear wheel is now mounted, with adapter, stub axle, hub, rotor, caliper, and new brake line with a flexible hose in the end. It looks beutiful, doesn't it!

Left to do is the right rear wheel, of course and get new handbrake cables that will fit the brake calipers. The cables for the drum brakes did not fit at all. I am hoping that Biltemas cheap (SEK 129, EUR 15) cables for Audi A3 and VW Golf among others will fit.

I had hoped I would get the car running this weekend. I had all the parts (at least I thought so) and I had the time. Well, it seems like the calipers from the Skoda Fabia which fit the spindles from the Skoda Fabia, which fit the Audi A2 beutifully, maybe aren't from a Skoda Fabia at all. At least did the brake pads for the Fabias C54-II brakes not fit at all. After a lot of trial and error on the Internet with different brake systems for VAG cars I now believe that the brakes are FN 3 from VW Golf V 2005 and later. Maybe they used those brake systems on Fabia and did not include that in the workshop manuals or the scrap yard sent me the wrong parts again. Anyway, since the brakes fit great and I have now found pads form them I will keep them. I'll just change the pads and the mounting kit.
This is what the front looks like with new rotors.
I compared the old and the new brakes. The old rotors weighs 4.9 kg and the new 7.2. Quite a difference! The calipers are also much bigger.

The new rotor to the left and the old to the right
Left: new caliper. Right: old

No comments:

Post a Comment