September 14, 2014

Integrating with ACC

I started off this summer with some electronics stuff. I managed to fry my Arduino computer last fall so I had to buld a new. This time with pre-built relay cards. Not messin with transistors and resistors on breadboards!
I am tapping in to the car in several different places to integrate with the existing systems. One such place is the ACC (Automatic Climate Control). The ACC has a temperature flap which opens when heat is demanded and closes otherwise. In order to have my electric heater only run when heat is demanded I want to sense the position of this temperature flap. Luckily the ACC also wants that so there is a potentiometer on the flap that the ACC reads in order to know the position of the flap. I found the cable that connects to the flap potentiometer on one of the connectors on th ACC control in the center dashboard.
The ACC control dismounted

The cable from the temp flap potentiometer


When full heat is demanded the output from the pot reads 0.6 V

When no heat is required about 4.7V is output (This was a warm day, around 28C so 22C means no heat)
 
I have removed the AC (Air Condition) pump fron the car. It was driven with a belt from the engine and in order for the AC to work I might need an electric pump. Anyway I am not sure it will fit in the engine compartment so maybe there will be no AC, only heat.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, could you let me know which wires are used for the poti for the flap? At the moment i am using a switch for the heating a ucontroller would be more to my liking :) Could just replace the switch with a relais.

    ReplyDelete