September 15, 2014

Parking brake

The conversion from drum brakes to disc brakes in the rear means I cannot use the same parking brake cables. After having studied lots of pictures of disc parking brakes last summer I thought I needed to custom build a cable and connection to the parking brake lever. This made med postpone the decision on how to do it.
This summer things suddenly looked better. I discovered that there apparently is a model of the A2 with disc brakes. I don't know if it has ever been sold in Sweden or elsewhere, but its parking brake cables are available as spare parts.
So after taking a chance on which cables to use I ordered them from the Audi dealer and I was able to mount the cables which fitted almost perfectly. I just had to trim the hand brake lever on the calipers with a drill so that the cable would fit.
I believe it was pure luck that the cables had the right length. The length is just right because of the angle at which I mounted the rear disc calipers. This was made just by looking at pictures of other cars!
The parking brakes work. But after driving the car without using the parking brake for half a year, it jams a bit. So I think a need to jog it back and forth for a while with some thin oil.
The parking brake cable connected to the lever on the brake caliper

No comments:

Post a Comment