November 11, 2012

Peter - Audi A2 : 0-1

So, I lost the first round with the A2.
I took a chance that the spindle housing (wheel bearing husing) from the 2004 Golf IV, made for 280mm rotors would fit on the A2. Well, it didn't :-(
Actually the spindle housing itself fits on the car, but the drive shaft did not fit in the spindle. And, the Golf has a different system for the ABS sensor. The A2 has magnetic type whereas the Golf seems, well different.
The Golf spindle with hub to the left and the A2 spindle to the right. Very similar...

The A2 hub (left). The Golf hub with a separate rotor for the ABS sensor (right)

I was also considering taking the hub and the bearing from the A2 and put it into the Golf housing, which was my Plan B. But I realized that 1), the manual says that the bearing and hub on the A2 is destroyed when pulled out of the housing so I would have to purchase a new one, and 2) which is worse, the fitting of the bearing in the housing does not work the same way on the Golf as on the Audi, so the bearing would not fit anyway.
Well, I gambled and I lost.
This means I have tested Plan A and Plan B so I will have to resort to Plan C.
Plan C means doing the same thing in the front as for the rear brakes. That is to manufacture an adapter that will fit on the spindle housing and allow a brake caliper from a brake system with a larger rotor to be fitted on the housing. Since the spindle housings on the A2 has built in caliper holders that prevent fitting larger rotors (which was the reason for changing the spindles in the first place) I will have to saw those holders off.
Stay tuned and I will tell you about this when I get there. As for now, I will lick my wounds...

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    very good blog! I would like to convert my A2 as well, someday. Keep posting your progress!

    Unfortunatly, I found following information to late for your rear brake conversion. http://www.leibbrands.de/Scheibenbremsen.pdf
    Since the A2 also sports disk brakes in the 1.6 FSI version from factory, the parts already existed. A good source for A2 related issues is the german site http://www.A2-freun.de
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I wish I had more time to play with the car an blog more often.

    What a great article about the disc brake conversion! It is step by step what to do when changing drum brakes to disk brakes on an Audi A2 (as far as I can tell from the german ;-)
    It seems like the adapters are standard spare parts. Are those the Achszapfenaufnahme?
    I didn't really get the hand brake conversion though. I'll try to get google to translate it to english and maybe I will understand.

    Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      its me again, anonymous from before. In fact my name is Marco and I am german, living in Sweden. I could help you with some translation if needed.
      For now, I found this on a dutch site by using google:

      6E0 501 465 A Adapterplaat Links Lupo Gti
      6E0 501 466 A Adapterplaat Rechts Lupo Gti

      This is the part the guy called Achszapfenaufnahme. It should be called adapter plate or similar. Maybe Audi can tell you if the part number also refers to a Audi A2 version (i.e. 1.6 FSI).

      Ciao, Marco.

      Delete