November 25, 2012

Wood is good!

This weekend was more thinking and drawing than building. I designed a caliper adapter plate for the rear brakes and made a mockup in wood. The mockup made me realize that I had measured 7mm wrong. Wood is good!
Later this week I will try to find someone who can manufacture the adapter in steel for me. When I get the steel adapters I will know for sure if I have measured everything right.

The wooden caliper holder adapter mockup mouted on the stub axle together with the wheel hub, brake rotor, caliper holder and caliper

2 comments:

  1. I just think this is crazy. Swedish law obliges you to upgrade the brakes... building a caliper yourself! LOL. At least you'll be an expert on brakes when you finish... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you that the regulations are crazy!
    However, I am not really building a caliper myself. I am using used calipers in the front and brand new calipers in the rear. I am building adapter plates in steel for fitting the calipers onto the rear axle. This method is actually not so uncommon as you would think among car converters and there are commercial adapters available for some car models like the VW Beetle for example.

    ReplyDelete