July 2, 2013

Batteries arrived!

Yesterday 68 battery cells arrived at the garage from i4wifi in Czech Republic. The cells are the CALB CA100FI Lithium Iron Phosphate cells with a nominal voltage of 3,2V making it  total of 318V battery pack voltage.
The delivery
A single 3,2V 100Ah cell
Each cell can hold up to 100Ah of charge so this makes the total capacity of the battery 21,8kWh. I hope this will give me a range of about 100km.
The cells are supposed to be delivered half charged and I measured the resting voltage of each cell. According to EVTV, who I believe know most about these cells, a fully charged cell has a resting voltage of around 3,38V. Of the 68 cells, 64 had a voltage between 3,290V and 3,294V which looks nice. However two of the cells had a voltage of 3,272V and 3,286V which is disturbingly different. I will ask i4wifi if this is an indication of problem or just normal.
I have ordered a Powerlab 8 battery balancer which I will use to bottom balance the battery. Bottom balancing involves discharging each cell to the same bottom voltage which I understand the Powerlab will automate nicely using a lead acid battery to put the charge into. Hope to start that this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. The cells are the CALB CA100FI Lithium Iron Phosphate cells with a nominal voltage of 3,2V making it total of 318V battery pack voltage. batteroo inc

    ReplyDelete