July 27, 2013

First integration test - failed

Since the flywheel that matches my diesel transmission is unbalanced I tested the flywheel and clutch from the gas engine. The flywheel fits the adaptor allright, but the clutch is too small. The center hole formed by the clutch fingers is too narrow for the release bearing and the oil seal in the transmission. So its back to trying to balance the diesel flywheel. I think it can be machined into balance with a milling machine. I just have to find someone who has one...
The gas clutch

The diesel clutch

After I split the engine and transmission I had a chance to compare the original gasoline transmission with the diesel trans that I plan to use. I realized then that they use different drive shafts. So I have to get new drive shafts that fits the new transmission. So much for praising the VAG component system. :(
The drive shaft flange on the gas transmission
And the same on the diesel transmission

I could also make certain that the gas transmission does not fit the adapter plate. It was tempting for a while to use the existing transmission, but now it just to bite the bullet and get the diesel trans to work.
The adapter does not fit the gas transmission

A good thing is that I have now discharged all 68 lithium cells. I'll let them rest during the weekend and see on monday is they need further balancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment