July 31, 2013

The motor is in!

I got the left transmission mount today and fabricated a motor mount in 40x40x4mm angle steel. I'm not 100% sure about the geometries since I used the bottom transmission mount from the gasoline transmission. It doesn't fit the diesel transmission that good but at least it holds everything about right. I have ordered a used diesel bottom transmission mount so when I get that I will adjust the motor mount a well.
Installing the motor and transmission using the hoist

The motor is in!
When I decided on the Kostov K9HV motor I really took a chance when it comes to its size. I see now that it is a perfect fit! There is only half a centimeter between the front side of the motor mount and the frame of the car. The back side of the motor mount I actually had to reduce by a centimeter to get it in there. The rear axle of the motor is protruding under the frame. So a larger motor would not fit. At least not a longer motor.
A tight fit between the motor mount and the car frame

2 comments:

  1. Please tell me you haven't given up on this project! I have an A2 and my dream is to convert it to electric when the diesel motor caves in. Do you know of any companies in Europe who specializes in such conversions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news, the project is still on!
    I just haven't been doing much during winter, but now things are rolling again. I'll make some posts soon and show what I have been doing during the summer.

    ReplyDelete