July 30, 2013

Integration test no 3 - succeeded!

I made two integration tests today and tried to mount the motor to the transmission.
After my frind Ola had machined off a centimeter of material from the flywheel it was balanced enough to test. I have been thinking of getting a special tool for centering the clutch plate to the flywheel bu now I just used a vernier caliper to measure the distance between the clutch plate and the holes in the flywheel and centering it manually. That turned out to be good enough. The garage hoist was a bless to use for navigating the 55 kg heavy motor/adapter/flywheel/clutch assembly.
Mounting the motor to the transmission
 
It turned out that the fit is so tight I could not get the motor and transmisstion together. Maybe the flywheel for the VW New Beetle, for which the adapter is originally made, has a smaller flywheel.
So, test number two failed as well.
I then removed the gear ring on the flywheel to make it smaller and shaved off a small indent on the inside of the transmission that seemed to be in the way.
After removing the gear ring from the flywheel
I used a simple propane burner that I normally use for an (other) outdoor stove to heat the gear ring and then a hammer and chisel to beat it off.
The indent before and after shaving with a angle grinder

Without the gear ring and indent I managed to push the motor and transmission together! Horray!
After reading several electric conversion blogs I now know that if you convert at car to electric you have to make a video with the first test run of the motor and transmission together ;) So, here is mine:

1 comment: