July 24, 2013

Motor arrived

The Kostov K9HV arrived yesterday from Bulgaria. It is a really neat little motor and I am amazed it will be able to accelerate the A2 0-100 in 10 seconds and give it a top speed of 130 km/h. Well, we'll see!
First spin
I connected it to 12V and gave it a first spin and it works allright. I also connected the motor-transmission adapter to it.

When I mounted the flywheel to the adapter I noticed a substantial unbalance. So severe that I had to shut it down after just a few seconds. After some investigation it turns out the flywheel is unbalanced!
The unbalanced flywheel. Note the big piece of material missing in the lower left!
I thought I was smart to get exactly the flywheel that is used on the engine that fits the transmission that I'm using. But that engine is a three cynlinder diesel engine which, because it has only three cylinders, is unbalanced. To counteract the imbalance of the engine VAG made the flywheel equally unbalanced the other way. That means the flywheel will only work with those three cylinder engines and not my perfectly balanced little Kostov motor :(
So the solution is to use another flywheel. I hope the existing flywheel from the four cylinder petrol engine in the car will work. The only difference I know of is that the clutch is smaller on the petrol engine so maybe the diesel clutch will not fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment